1. Postoperative discomfort is sometimes experienced after a treatment visit. This is due to irritation of the bone surrounding the tooth and may range from a mild discomfort in the area to an occasional episode of considerable pain. This discomfort will usually maximize in approximately 48-72 hours and then subside. Please avoid chewing on the treated tooth for a few days.
2. If a throbbing sensation occurs please keep your head elevated as much as possible and place extra pillows under your head when lying down. Avoid as much as possible any strenuous activity as well.
3. If swelling of the gum is present or should appear after a treatment visit, please rinse the area every 1-2 hours with a solution of warm salt water prepared by adding a teaspoon of salt to an 8 oz. glass of warm water.
4. If swelling of the face is present or should appear, apply an ice pack to the area for 5 minutes every 1/2 hour.
5. If antibiotic medication has been prescribed please take it as indicated until you have finished ALL of the medication. If you encounter any difficulty in breathing or a skin rash, or gastric disturbance should occur, please discontinue the medication and call the office.
6. If medication for pain has been prescribed, please take it as indicated. It is important to bear in mind that narcotic medications such as Codeine may make you drowsy. Therefore, caution should be exercised in operating any potentially dangerous machinery or an automobile.
HDAA Accredited Dental Practice
Our HDAA accreditation demonstrates our compliance with quality, safety & good governance by committing to quality improvement, patient safety and care.Find out more